GIFTS & REGISTRY TIPS
1. Before you begin the registry process have a heart to heart with your fiancé. Discuss your tastes, style, priorities, and your vision of your future home. Also be sure to take into account what items you already have as a couple. Your selections will be easier and more focused when you have a game plan and you are working towards common goals!
2. The key is timing. Make sure to register BEFORE the first bridal celebration but not early enough that some of your items may become discontinued. Also take into consideration the fact that some items are seasonal and may not be available when your guests are making their purchases.
3. You know not to go to the grocery store hungry, so don’t rush the registry process and try to accomplish this in one day.
4. If you already have most of the everyday ware, think of registering at specialty stores – art galleries, hardware or luggage stores, sporting good stores, or even travel agencies!
5. Although it is usually considered impolite to ask guests to buy gifts at certain locations, putting your registry information on your wedding website is perfectly acceptable and in this day and age, probably one of the most effective and polite
6. The individual throwing your shower can certainly make it “themed” based. If you and your hubby to be love to do outdoor entertaining, the shower and gifts can be based around this theme. Or perhaps you really enjoy cooking and need kitchen items, why not a Recipe/Kitchen based shower. Theme showers can be fun and practical!
8. Word of mouth. No matter what, people are going to ask for your closest friends and family’s input into what would be best to get you, so just make sure they are well informed.
9. Mix it up! Make sure you register for gifts in all different price points so that your guests can choose gifts within their budget.
10. Keep your registry up to date. Many stores offer a computerized system that will allow you to look at your registry and make sure purchased items have been removed. It will also allow you to add items as you choose.
11. Make sure you register as a couple. You will want gifts that you both enjoy! You may want to assign categories in advance. You can make the china choices and he can choose when it comes to the kitchen gadgets.
12. Don’t worry about matching your tableware exactly. It’s actually stylish to mix several patterns in the same place setting to personalize your table. Think about choosing 6 settings from one style and 6 from another style. It will be fun to have options and have the ability to mix and match!
13. In this case more is better. Make sure you “over-register.” This will insure that your guest have many options.
14. Choose your stores wisely! Make sure that your registry offers you and your guests what you need. Online abilities?
15. Do NOT underestimate the power of a thank you. Make them personal and make them timely.